You may be a little nervous about how your 100% natural sheepskin rug will cope with everyday life in your family home. How do you keep it clean for a lifetime? The answer is simple and we have Mother Nature to thank.
On the outer layers of the sheep’s wool there is a waxy coating called lanolin. This natural occurring coating makes the natural fibres of the sheepskin slippery, which in turn makes it harder for dust, dirt or liquids to seep into the sheepskin and discourages the growth of allergens. This means your sheepskin rug will naturally resist soiling, meaning it doesnt have to be washed as often as you might think.
The sheepskin rugs we sell in our gift shop are from Irish sheep and made in Irelands only tannery, Waterford Sheepskins. Each rug is made from hand-selected skin ensuring the natural qualities of pure Irish wool. These rugs are a totally natural and non-dyed product and are of the highest quality.
With regular care you can keep your Sheepskin Rug looking brand new. Here are our top 5 tips for caring for a sheepskin.
- Hoover thoroughly using a light suction once a week or alternatively use a dog hair brush to remove anything stuck in the fibres.
- Take your rug outside and give it a shake to remove any dirt or debris.
- If there are any spills or marks, spot clean them as soon as possible by blotting gently with a damp cloth.
- Protect your rug against UV damage and fading by keeping your rug out of strong direct sunlight at all times.
- When you are not using your sheepskin, store it in cool, dark, well ventilated area in your house.
However, accidents can happen. If you find that spot cleaning isn’t enough to remove a particular mark or spill, you can hand wash it with these 3 simple steps.
- Run cold water over the dirty part of your sheepskin for one to two minutes,
- Use a towel (or paper towels) to soak up the excess liquid.
- If the wet area is large, try standing on the towel and pressing gently with your feet.
- Patience is key, when allowing your rug to dry. It is best to allow it to airdry, either place it on the line on a windy day or on the back of a chair and out of direct sunlight. Leaving it to dry for a couple of days.
Mother Nature gave sheepskin its own in-built cleaning and care system and with a little bit of love and a regular hoover and shake routine your Connemara Sheep & Wool Centre sheepskin rug will last you a lifetime!
If you havent bought one yet, why not check out our collection of natural and rare breed Sheepskin Rugs in our west of ireland gift shop and in our online store here. When purchasing a rug, please note each rug is totally unique so dimensions and colors may vary slightly from one to the another, it all depends on the breed of sheep.
When you receive your rug we recommend airing your rug in an open space, out of direct sunlight. As wool is a natural fiber, it filters odours from the environment so it can absorb smells from packaging or its surroundings during transit.
Want to know how Sheepskin Rugs are made, Check out our ‘How Sheepskin Rugs are made in Ireland’ Blog here.